UCSF is committed to assisting learners with disabilities reach their full potential and succeed in our educational environment. At the core of these procedures are two themes for registering and requesting disability accommodations. One is UCSF’s commitment to protecting the privacy of all learners. The second is that early communication with the relevant course directors and administrators is critical to a successful partnership in arranging accommodations.
Disability documentation will be stored confidentially in the Student Disability Services (SDS) office. It is not necessary or desirable to give copies to the faculty. A letter prepared by SDS notifies faculty of your eligibility for services and of the recommended accommodations.
How To Register for Accommodations in a Didactic/Classroom Setting
- Before each quarter in which you would like to use recommended accommodations, contact Assistant Dean of Student Affairs Michael Trevino at email@example.com to give him permission to contact the faculty you would like notified of your approved accommodations. Please give the faculty name(s) and course name(s) in your email. Assistant Dean Trevino will send your request along to the appropriate faculty very quickly, usually within five business days of receiving your email. He will work in collaboration with you and the Faculty to discuss how the accommodation(s) can best be made in each of your courses.
- Discuss with each Faculty of Record (FOR) the letter and recommended accommodations, after Assistant Dean Trevino has contacted them. It is recommended that you do so in advance of the start of the quarter, or, minimally, two weeks in advance of an exam. You are expected to initiate contact with each of your faculty.
- For note taking and alternate format media accommodations, follow procedures outlined by SDS in advance of each quarter. Remember that this process often takes 4-6 weeks.
- For MS/PhD students, should you ever change advisors, you will need to provide the accommodation letter to your new advisor and discuss/request accommodations.
- For MEPN students, at the time you begin the MS specialty portion of the program, you will need to meet with your new advisor to provide a copy of your accommodation letter and to discuss/request accommodations; Assistant Dean Trevino can assist with this process.
How To Register for Accommodations in the Clinical Setting
- Accommodations in the clinical setting are determined separately from those for the didactic/classroom setting. If you believe you may need accommodations in the clinical setting, discuss your concerns with SDS and make a request for clinical accommodations as early as possible.
- SDS will work with Assistant Dean Trevino and the Faculty of Record (FOR), and other relevant administrators at School of Nursing (MEPN Program Director or Masters Specialty Coordinator) to determine if the requested accommodations are reasonable and that do not alter an essential feature of the program requirements or technical standards.
- An updated Accommodation Letter will be provided to include those accommodations, specific to the clinical setting, that are approved by SDS, Assistant Dean Trevino, and the FOR to implement accommodations in the clinical settings.