UCSF is committed to assisting learners with disabilities reach their full potential and succeed in our educational environment. At the core of these procedures are two themes for registering and requesting disability accommodations. One is UCSF’s commitment to protecting the privacy of all learners. The second is that early communication with the relevant course directors and administrators is critical to a successful partnership in arranging accommodations.
Please note: Students requesting accommodations in UCSF and SF State courses, must co-register with UCSF Student Disability Services (SDS) and SF State Disability Programs and Resource Center (DPRC).
How To Register for UCSF Accommodations
1. Meet with UCSF Student Disability Services Provider, (415) 476-6595, StudentDisability@ucsf.edu, to request a copy of your accommodation letter that describes your eligibility for services.
2. Provide a copy of your accommodation letter to UCSF Program Director Kimberly Topp, (415) 476-9449, firstname.lastname@example.org, or to your academic advisor.
Once you have completed the above with UCSF SDS, proceed with the following:
How To Register for Classroom Accommodations in Didactic Courses
1. Provide a copy of your accommodation letter and discuss your accommodation needs directly with each of your instructors at the start of each quarter, or, minimally, two weeks in advance of an exam.
- If you have any difficulty arranging classroom accommodations, please see UCSF Program Director Kimberly Topp for assistance.
2. For note taking and alternate format media accommodations, follow procedures outlined by SDS in advance of each quarter.
How To Register for Accommodations in the Clinical Setting
1. Accommodations in the clinical setting are determined separately from those for the didactic/classroom setting. If you believe you may need accommodations in the clinical setting, discuss your concerns with SDS and make a request for clinical accommodations as early in the program as possible, preferably during the first summer quarter.
2. SDS will work with Clinical Education Director Theresa Jaramillo, (415) 514-6773, email@example.com, to determine if the requested accommodations are reasonable and do not alter an essential feature of the curriculum or technical standards.
3. If accommodations for the clinical setting are approved, SDS will provide an updated accommodation letter to the student specifying the approved accommodations.
- Provide the letter to Director Jaramillo immediately.
- You will work together with Director Jaramillo, SDS, and the clinic site to implement the accommodations in the clinic.
- If you have any difficulty related to accommodations in clinical settings, please see Director Jaramillo.
How To Register At San Francisco State University (SF STATE) DPRC
1. Students requiring disability related accommodations for SF State courses must also register with the Disability Programs and Resource Center (DPRC) at SF State and follow their policies and procedures for requesting and accessing accommodations.
2. The DPRC will honor accommodations approved by UCSF SDS, but asks that students submit their UCSF SDS Accommodation Letter and disability documentation to DPRC at SF State to keep on file in case there is any specific support students need for their courses at SF State.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 338-2472 for more information.